Friday, May 9, 2008

Update

I've added a way to subscribe to this blog, so now you can tell immediately when I add new posts! The option is on the bottom right; click on "posts" under the "subscribe to" heading.

I've got so many ideas buzzing around in my head. I can't wait to get them out! The invitation below is just one of many I've already thought of. It makes me wonder what I'll actually do once I get to my own! But meanwhile, I'll have a few fun ideas for you :)

On the actual wedding front: my fiancé and I went to see what items we might want on our registry (early, yes, but it's nice to do it when there's no pressure). There are so many choices to be made -- it can really overwhelm you if you're not prepared. China patterns, flatware types, stemware, linens, appliances... it gets dizzying fast. If you're not registering right away (and just looking for things that catch your eye, like we were), take a notepad and write down brands and styles you like. It's almost impossible to remember names after hours of pattern-hunting. If you want, get someone from the store to help you match items you're trying to find. If you don't think you have a clue about design, they can probably help. Better yet, bring a fashion- or design-savvy friend with you (preferably one who's also friends with your fiancé[e])!

It's great to go to a store that carries a lot of registry-type items, like Macy's, because that way you can find a large chunk of what you want without having to visit a large number of stores. It can get tiring walking around so many stores, particularly if you've only set aside a few days for registry stuff. Plus those larger chains are all over the U.S., and even with easy online ordering, many people want to see for themselves what they'll be getting you.

Speaking of seeing things for yourself, it's also important that you look at registry items in person. Patterns, textures, and surfaces can look very different online versus in real life, and you don't want to end up with something you're not thrilled about. I wasn't prepared for this -- I found a china pattern I really liked online, but in the store it was only so-so. Disappointing -- and imagine how it would have been if I had ordered it! Don't make the mistake of falling in love with something before seeing it in real life.

No comments: